Pregnant and/or Married: The Best People to Facebook Stalk


The other day my sister and I were gabbing on the phone. We were talking about the usual - where we want to be a year from now, who annoyed us that day, my upcoming Mardi Gras trip (!) Then with one question we went down a deep, all-consuming hole. "Did you know Samantha X just got married?!" NO! When did that happen?!" And here we go...

A November wedding with Chuck! 

I must say as a twentysomething it is always entertaining to scroll through Facebook albums of newborn babies, Instagram photos of honeymoons and cryfest-inducing proposal videos. IT IS ADDICTING. 

However like all addictions it can become harmful. The problem begins once viewing these images sparks thoughts of happiness & excitement or jealousy & anxiety. Our whole lives we look around the room to make sure we are maturing at the same rate as everyone else. We start to wonder - "why don't I have a boyfriend/girlfriend at 19?" "Why am I not married at 25?" "Why don't I have three kids yet? I'm freaking 30!"

Because we are afraid of being the last to finish the race, we project our insecurities on cute couples & budding families. These are the worst reactions to engagement ring photos & bulging belly posts:  

They are way too young! 

What?! Are they supposed to get married at 87 because it makes YOU uncomfortable? Puh-lease! Here's an article about the pros of marrying young. 

I never thought they belonged together.

Seriously? The last time you probably had a full conversation with the couple was in high school. How would you know how much they love each other, how they interact daily, how they've changed? Oh I forgot! That is what Facebook is for. If they don't post enough photos together or comment on each other's timeline hourly, they are definitely not meant to be.
 

They will definitely get divorced.

Why would you ever say that?! Divorce is terrifying. As more close friends become engaged and married, it is all too real. It breaks my heart to think that any of my friend couples would divorce! 

I am a hopeless romantic. Every time someone gets engaged, married or starts a family, I wish I had a megaphone to shout "I LOVE love! And I love that you are in love!" 

I hope our twentysomething reactions about marriage and babies changes sooner rather than later. In the mean time you can find me on the couch, liking photos of wrinkly hands adorned with sparkly diamonds and wondering how Samantha X got so skinny so quickly. She just had a baby! 

P.S. 

I never thought cohabitation before marriage was a good idea. Thoughts?
I'm sort of obsessed with Meg Jay
Divorce. Ugh.
Secret problems of other couples. 
Avoiding the comparison trap

0 love notes:

Post a Comment