take that, January!


The month of January contains the most depressing day of the year and it even has a name - Blue Monday! How do I prepare for this inevitable melancholia?  With a deliberate and almost lethal dose of POSITIVITY! This is how I am going to make sure no sad, blue monster gets the best of me...




After the stressful yet incredibly educational year that was 2014, I am determined to generate only positive energy for myself and others in 2015. My ambition however is continually challenged this month. The Christmas/New Year season has ended, my sister left for Louisiana after spending two weeks with me and the cold, rainy weather has left me exhausted. BUT like I always tell visitors coming to the Lowcountry, it's never a bad day in Charleston! Truly you have the power to control your moods and reactions soooo...I'm going to get started on taking back the reins.

The "most depressing day of the year" is always the Monday of the last full week of January (they even have an equation)! How will I change the course of my January 26th?

1. Wake up earlier.


Hear me out! We all know millionaires and oil tycoons wake up before 5 a.m. Yes, early productivity is a plus but so is being still. Every year as it gets colder and colder, I hit the snooze button more often in an attempt to stay warm under my covers for just a little bit longer. Each morning I sacrifice my quiet time and savory cup of coffee for 30 extra minutes of staggered sleep. 

2. Trying something new EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.


I made my very own, super healthy smoothie the other day. It was absolutely horrific but I was still happy I made it!

3. Take advantage of my tourist town.


I live in the Charleston area for goodness sake! I miss going on impromptu museum tours, obscure art openings and concerts. Charleston is pretty slow in January but I only see that as a challenge. I'll have ideas on this Friday's Five! 

4. Remind myself that I indeed have friends.


The holidays are tough on balancing friendships. Everyone is busy or too poor from Christmas shopping to do anything. My "do something" is hanging out with my friends. I do not need to meet at a bar or go to dinner. We forget that sometimes. Let's get back to vegging on the couch or laying out in Marion Square for hours!

5. Wear more lipstick!


This just makes me instantly happy! 

P.S.

More ways to change your January.
How this one woman got everything she wanted in 2014.
What happens to the brain when you learn or try something new.
One of my favorite movies - Something New.



0 love notes:

Post a Comment