Books That Shaped Me in 2014


Since being out off school my relationship with books has changed. I no longer have to study or dissect a book to discuss the next day in class. I can read for FUN. In 2014 I definitely took advantage of that and these are the books that had a profound impact even after the last page was read.



The Golem and the Jinni

 

The main characters in this book evaluated what it means to live a meaningful life and how important it is to find friendship and a kindred spirit. It is without a doubt on my favorite book list now!


The Kitchen House


Feel like crying for an entire night? Read this fantastically written book about an interracial slave woman whose father owns a plantation in antebellum Virginia  & her relationship with a white indentured servant. 


The Invention of Wings


Sue Monk Kidd did it again! This novel is set in Charleston and tells the tale of the Grimke Sisters, brave abolitionists who challenged the cushy and pampered conclusions of high society. They do not showcase the Grimke Sisters often in the Lowcountry and I'm so happy this book exists to bring their story to light. 


The Defining Decade


Can't figure out a way to articulate the struggles of a twentysomething? Megan Jay explores the twentysomething mind and gives solace, reminding recent graduates that it is OK if your life sucks right now, EVERYONE has been through it before. 


Cracking the GRE



My twin gave me this GRE book for Christmas 2013. I truly believe it is the only reason I did so well on the exam last March. It prepares you every step of the way and gives test takers a strategy developed from the perspective of GRE creators. I cannot recommend this book enough!


Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald


One of the most eloquent books I have ever read. It inspired me to start working on a novel this year!


Books by Erika Robuck



After reading Z, I was on a 1920's/Fitzgerald kick. Fallen Beauty & Call Me Zelda will make you nostalgic for an era you don't even belong to.


P.S.

The Charleston County Public Library can help you keep your 2015 resolutions!
The next book I'm looking forward to reading! 



0 love notes:

Post a Comment